Thursday, February 11, 2010

Today I sit at this magical screen after almost a week of no computer interaction. It was actually quite wonderful, doing other things and forgetting for a while about my addiction to the "information superhighway" (remember when people actually called it that?). After a few days of computer-less time, you begin to avoid it on purpose, saying like an old friend of mine, "It's too much to bother". But virtual reality gets us all sometime...

Unfortunately, I have been sick in bed these past two days, and so I wasn't able to do much more than read a couple books (including the wonderful "People's History of American Empire"). It does, however, give me an opportunity to brag about the fact that I have never been ill from eating dumpster food, to my knowledge (that's always one of the first questions I am asked). My sicknesses usually come in the sneezing, running nose, deep chest cough and itchy throat variety. They seem to be more a product of community living than of my food lifestyle. If you just use the same common sense you would in your fridge, dumpster diving won't make you sick.

I've been wondering what to do for Eric for Valentine's Day, since: 1. I've ended up on House Duty for that day and 2. We don't buy each other stuff (I couldn't even if I wanted to). :) And so I must lend myself to creativity...

Another random musing for the day is in the bummer-ness of having to cancel our last two dumpster bike rides due to rain, in Los Angeles. Oh well. We'll try again tomorrow; wish us good weather and a good turnout.

I'll leave you with a great video inspired by the late, great Howard Zinn and narrated by one of my favorite actors (if only because he portrayed Aragorn in the LOTR movies).

No comments:

Post a Comment