Monday, February 15, 2010

Funky G's Recent Reading List

Yo. I've been doing a lot of reading lately (as always) and thought I would share some titles that I recommend to progressive-minded folks (and any folks). Just a couple of days ago, I started to read "A Woman Among Warlords" by Malalai Joya and am very impressed. It's very intense, describing the political history of Afghanistan's last 30 years of foreign occupation in a very personal way as it follows Malalai's life. I picked up the book in November after hearing her speak in Pasadena. Her message is clear. Democracy cannot be forced on any country, "freedom is something a people must work for and cannot be imposed on them". Obviously, she doesn't feel that the US has "liberated" her people at all.

Other books I have enjoyed recently include "Crimes of Dissent" by Jarret Lovell, a professor at California State University at Fullerton and a friend of the LA Catholic Worker. His book on civil disobedience features Jeff and other members of the LACW community. It's also an inspiring tribute to people power and philosophical anarchism.

If you're interested in the Catholic Worker movement, speaking of philosophical anarchism, a good book about the history of the movement and its founders' ideologies is "All the Way to Heaven". Though I am not religious anymore, I still appreciate people who use their spiritual views to do good. Radical Christianity is something I still support, even if I do not hold the same spiritual thoughts (hence my involvement in an anarchist Catholic community).

No comments:

Post a Comment