Monday, October 12, 2009

So Much Waste, So Little Time

Here are some pictures of Eric's and my last dumpster outing. We actually brought home quite a bit more fruit than what is pictured here. In fact, we had to leave a lot of perfectly good fruit behind in the dumpster because even the Catholic Worker can't use that much fruit fast enough.



Eric's full fridge, with only about a quarter of what we found last night.


Most of what we found, including 3/4 of a bottle of wine and so much beautiful fruit (I have to make pie now, with dumpstered flour, too).


Eric's hands washing fruit.

3 comments:

  1. ahhh, send some to me. I've had the same problem (not quite as bad). My mom gave me the idea that you can cut up the fruit, put it in zip-lock bags and freeze it for later use, like in pies and crisps (apple crisp, strawberry rhubarb pie, apple pie etc) It works really well and doesn't the catholic worker have a really big fridge in the garage? just an idea

    -marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could send you some. I'm guessing this is Marie Roper? HI! We have a big freezer, not a fridge, in the garage. Fruit doesn't freeze well, nor could we transport it well in Eric's little car. Maybe if we had the CW van...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi punky, i've found that fruit does indeed freeze, as your friend Marie just noted.. there are online sources of instruction.. and several food recycle/gleening groups within the greater Los Angeles area, that would love to share thier expertise in exchange for your verve at promoting this excellent resource. You probly know all this by now.
    Regards from the ghost of christmas past. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete