Wednesday, December 22, 2010

On Eternity


Interest me, please,
That scratching at the door of my mind,
a thought squeezing its way in
from empty void to idea behind my eyes.

Explain to me, please,
That fascination of the human psyche,
an abstract obsession long written
on the pages of our history.

Present to me, please,
A rationale for this futile fantasy,
this unproven unreality ever wished for
in the spaces between life and death.

Why are we so interested in a possibility of life after this present moment? Is it merely to give hope for those whose lives are not happy here? I have no answers, "only questions." 

There's no time for hatred, only questions
What is love, where is happiness, what is Life,
where is peace?
When will I find the strength to bring me release?

And tell me where is the love in what your prophet has said?
Man, It sounds to me just like a prison for the walking dead
And I've got a message for you and your twisted hell
You better turn around and blow your kiss goodbye
to life eternal angel...
-Jeff Buckley, "Eternal Life" (full lyrics here)


2 comments:

  1. Some people are not merely "interested" in eternity...many people throughout the ages have received glimpses of it, whether through spiritual practices, divine revelation, ancient psychedelic ceremonies, etc.

    I personally have never "seen" love, but have experienced it in many forms. Does my petty subjective experience disprove love's existence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, re-read the first Law of Thermodynamics:


    The first law of thermodynamics is an expression of the principle of conservation of energy. It states that energy can be transformed (changed from one form to another), but cannot be created or destroyed

    ReplyDelete